Finding the right preschool for your little ones can be difficult challenging. We know many parents go on tour after tour trying to find a preschool they feel is safe and nurturing. This is not a time to be shy or feel uncomfortable asking the questions you want to know. A great preschool wants to hear your questions and wants to discuss all your concerns openly.
- Teaching style. This will vary significantly from school to school, even in a preschool. Some may be more “school structure learning” while others are “learning through play”. Often this will come down to structure. You may have your own feelings on one over another, or you may feel your child would thrive in one setting over another. Some children need structure, while others do better in a freeing environment. There is no wrong or right, just what’s best for your child.
- What is the teacher turnover? A preschool that has constant turnover may indicate that staff are not happy at their location, or this is a stepping stone in their career. Children are excellent at picking up nervousness and behavior clues from adults, so if the teachers feel anything other than absolute glee about their jobs, it could trickle down into the overall classroom mood. Also, we all know that people will stay in jobs that offer high satisfaction in one way or another.
- What are the rules about screen and electronic time? There are a number of preschools that have Friday movies or other similar special events. But what about the rest of the time? Are children watching electronics during pick-up and drop-off? What about days there is bad weather outside. Not only are there guidelines about screen time exist, but you might also have different rules within your family.
- What is the nap schedule? Some kids cannot survive without their naps. Others may not fall asleep until late at night if they nap. If you have particular nap questions, this is a great time to ask about the schedule and if special needs can be accommodated.
- What safety protocols are put in place? You want to make sure that not anyone can walk into an area where children are. And you definitely want to make sure that only parent-approved adults can sign children out.
And along with all of these concerns is asking other parents if they genuinely follow what they say. A preschool should be able to provide you with references that you can ask about the questions above. There can also be other questions about sick policies, cleanliness, food restrictions, cultural diversity, and more. Of course, you want your child in a safe and nurturing environment so be sure to ask all the questions you need.
When you are in your search for a preschool in Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove, and Pinecrest, FL, come tour the Margaux Early Childhood School. We look forward to answering any and all questions you have.